Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Slow and Steady

My last appointment was on August 18th and we did a hearing test on top of the regular testing.  One of these tests involves me repeating 50 single syllable words after hearing them with my cochlear device.  Prior to surgery I didn't get any of them correct with my hearing aid.  I got 42% of them right this time.  This was good news, and I needed to hear it.  I really didn't think I was doing very well with my hearing progress but this is proof that things are getting better.  It doesn't seem to translate to real life though.  I was reminded that the "access" to sound is there, it's just a matter of me sorting all of the sounds out.

At one point during my visit, the audiologist sighed and remarked offhand something like "you know, some people after a couple of months are up and running and others are slow and steady.  You're one of them (slow and steady)."  Personally, this was discouraging to me.  I am very patient with other people, but not patient when it comes to me.  I was disheartened until I realized what my problem was.  I haven't really had very much practice with listening.

I haven't talked much with people at work, and I come home to an empty house.  As a result, I haven't spent much time practicing my listening skills.  Once I realized this, I knew that this needed to change.  The very next day, I went out to buy another audio book to read along with a book.  This time I chose Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes.

Reading along with an audio book is fun, except its a pretty expensive activity.  Audio books cost anywhere from $15 to $50 per book.  A friend suggested checking them out at the library, so I am definitely going to give that a try.  I hope there are some good books in there.  I'd settle for a couple of classics if they're there.

I bumped into a co-worker at Barnes & Noble while I was shopping for the audio book and told her that I had just had an adjustment appointment but was discouraged with my progress.  She told me that I really needed to cut myself a break.  I know she's right, but I also know I want faster results too.

I am going to seek out conversation more whenever I can.  So, if anybody has interesting stuff to talk about, let's get together!  I need the practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment